How Much Office Space Do I Need? Part II
Finding the Right Amount of Office Space for Rent
In our most recent article, we discussed some simple guidelines for determining how much office space to lease when you’re looking for available office space for rent. In this article, we’d like to dive into more specifics about square footage estimates for each different office type.
Why does it matter that you find the right amount of office space for rent?
- You’ll avoid leasing too much space that becomes wasted money each month
- You’ll be able to lease enough space so that your employees have the proper amount of room for completing their tasks
- You’ll correctly estimate the allotted space needs for future company growth
Choosing the right amount of office space relies heavily upon knowing the proper space determinations for your needs.
Guidelines for determining the right amount of office space for lease
Below are some general space guidelines for you to consider. Don’t forget to match these measurements up with our previous guide for determining how much office space you will need.
- Large Office Space (for CEO or president) – 300 to 400 sq. ft.
- Medium Office Space (for managers, accountants, engineers, etc.) – 150 to 200 sq. ft.
- Small Office Space (for data entry, customer service employees, clerks, etc.) – 100 to 150 sq. ft.
- Shared Office Space (for use with cubicles) – 80 to 100 sq. ft. per person
- Reception Area – 100 to 200 sq. ft. + 10 sq. ft. per person waiting
- Conference Room – 50 sq. ft. + 20 to 25 sq. ft. per person seated
- Lunch Room – 75 sq. ft. + 25 sq. ft. per person seated
- Storage or File Room – 150 to 200 sq. ft.
Most office spaces for lease include a common area for shared use. This may include a waiting room, bathrooms, hallways, or even large conference areas. It is important to know that your office space considerations will need to flex based upon the existence or absence of a common area.
Putting the pieces together: Determining the cost for renting available office space
All of these space considerations not only help you determine the proper amount of office space to lease, but also provide a basis for figuring your monthly lease amount based upon average leasing costs per square footage in your area.
When figuring these costs, it’s also important to understand what the cost of the common area space will be. Is it already wrapped into the price per square foot, or is it an additional fee that is separate from your monthly lease amount?
At PMC, our square footage costs stay separated from the Common Area Maintenance costs (CAM), which is added on as an additional required fee if applicable for your office space selection. Applicable fees will always be disclosed at the initial discussion to ensure you are able to make an informed and wise decision for renting the office space.
Call us today to find the ideal office space that will fit your company’s needs, physically and financially.